Ein E-Bike für Alles?: Commençal Meta Power im Test

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Bau doch in dein Levo nen Stahlfederdämpfer.

Der Levo hinterbau ist auf Luftdämpfer mit Endprogression ausgelegt, wenn du da jetzt einen linearen Stahldämpfer einbaust schlägt das Ständig durch, erst recht mit dem kleinen federweg der der Hinterbau hergibt. Wenn man den Hinterbau Tunen möchte dann würde ich einen DVO topaz Luftdämpfer einbauen mit 2 Tokens wegen der Endprogression

wenns so einfach wär

i'wie hindert mich aber die einbaulänge/hub etwas

oder hab ich da etwas übersehen/eine möglichkeit ?

Was genau hindert dich? Machbarkeit? Oder EBL/Hub?
Es gibt ja genug Leute, die an einem motorlosen Stumpjumper nen Coil-Dämpfer fahren.
Ich habe mich damit noch nicht beschäftigt, obwohl mich das Thema beschäftigt x'D, aber nen BikeYoke dran und dann müsste es meiner Meinung nach ein Dämpfer sein, bei dem man schön dir Endprogression und LSC/HSC einstellen kann. Dann dürfte das schon machbar sein und ziemlich gut funktionieren.
Beim Fanes hat man damals auch ragt, dass der Hinterbau auf Lufzdänofer ausgelegt ist und am besten gefahren ist es mit einem Coil-Dämpfer á la Vivid Coil etc.

Sascha

@blaubaer

... kennst du diesen hier? Der passt in den stumpjumper und das Levo.
https://www.ohlins.com/product/ttx-22-m-application/

nein dieser öhlins würde nicht passen, da er nur für

Specifically designed with the Enduro/Gravity segment rider for the Specialized Demo 8 2011+, Enduro Evo 2013+ and Enduro 2013+ bike models

gebaut ist, und die Enduros haben 216x57 Dämpfer verbaut und die Stumpjumper 197x48

@slash-sash Danke, da war doch was, wusste nur nicht mehr von wem, BikeYoke !! Danke werd mir wohl solch einen Y-Link holen
Dämpfer weiss ich noch nicht, Stahlfeder gibt es nicht wirklich viel auswahl für 190x50 oder Metric 190x45. bis jetzt hab ich nur den Cane Creek Double Barrel Coil [IL] Dämpfer gefunden.
sonst den DVO Topaz, den wollte ich zuvor schon, nur ist er mit der Spezi Aufnahme nirgends zu finden.

Der Levo hinterbau ist auf Luftdämpfer mit Endprogression ausgelegt, wenn du da jetzt einen linearen Stahldämpfer einbaust schlägt das Ständig durch, erst recht mit dem kleinen federweg der der Hinterbau hergibt. Wenn man den Hinterbau Tunen möchte dann würde ich einen DVO topaz Luftdämpfer einbauen mit 2 Tokens wegen der Endprogression

über die Progression mach ich mir keine sorgen, die ist glaub eher umgekehrt in dem Rahmen, fahre jetzt als ersatz vom Fox einen RS Monarch mit M/M tune und bei dem ist extrem schwierig den vollen FW aus zu nutzen, im Gegensatz ist der Orig. deutlich schneller am Anschlag.

upload_2017-8-26_20-6-9.png

@GG71 Ich bin das Bike in Größe L gefahren, die Größe war perfekt für mich.

Hi @Alexkom , cooler Bericht, cooles Bike. Wie groß bist Du? Größe L sieht auf dem Papier sehr "hoch" aus - Standover Height, Seattube, Stack; alles recht hoch. Ich bin 1,82m (eigentlich L laut Commencal), aber Beinlänge nur 84cm. Ich hätte Sorge das ich den Sattel nicht weit genug runterkriege für DH und das auch der Stand über dem Oberrohr für Trails grenzwertig sein dürfte. Was denkst Du? Best. Max

Danke. Wäre gut zu wissen, wie er - mit seinen längeren Beinen - die Standover Height bewertet. Vom Datenblatt her ist es recht hoch...der Reach ist nicht meine Sorge.

Ich mag zu blöd sein, aber ich habe das Profil gefunden - ohne "technische Daten"?
Testerprofil Alex Boyce

Testerprofil ausklappen

• Testername: Alex Boyce
  • Körpergröße: 183 cm
  • Gewicht (mit Riding-Gear): 95 kg
  • Schrittlänge: 88 cm
  • Armlänge: 69 cm
  • Oberkörperlänge: 67 cm
  • Fahrstil: weich, gerne mit Sprüngen, jedes Terrain, Uphill im Turbo-Modus
  • Was fahre ich hauptsächlich: E-Bike, Enduro, Gravel.
  • Vorlieben beim Fahrwerk: gutes Ansprechverhalten und direkte Lenkung, Plusreifen
  • Vorlieben bei der Geometrie: breiter Lenker (800 mm), langer Hauptrahmen, mittellange Kettenstreben

Ich hätte gerne mal eine Einschätzung des Testers Alex Boyce zu einem direkten Vergleich des Meta Powers zum Thok-Mig-R interessiert, beide sind ja sehr gut bei ihm im Test weggekommen.
Sind die sich im Fahrverhalten sehr ähnlich oder gibt es da deutliche Unterschiede, auch was den optimalen Einsatzbereich betrifft ?

@yeti575 Interesting point, I will hopefully have soon both these bikes to do a long term or direct comparison. They are both bikes that make sense to me with my preference for loose fun relaxed riding. I don't like the "sit up straight" short style of bike for my style of riding I am looking for a performance that is close to my Enduro riding feelings. A bike that has excellent geometry for that is a Transition patrol. Or other longer bikes, when im looking at performance bikes. The heritage of the Thok and Commencal are clear as well, tow companies where gravity is the key element.

Im thinking of choosing "my" bike of the year that i have test ridden this year. However I am asked every day which bike is best where ever I am, I have to say it is a very difficult question to answer. I will say trying them is the only way to know which bike is the best for you. I have tried a lot of bikes for many many years as I have been a journalist testing bikes since 2009, previous to that I was shooting extreme sports. It is interesting to see the changes and how products have changed.

I used to think the Nomad two in carbon large was the best bike ever, then I rode it again the other day and I found it very very strange.

The market has many different bikes available that are good for certain purposes. I try to understand before I test a bike what the bike maker wants their bike to do. Then I try the bike according to those criteria and assess according to my experience and what I think is working or where bikes should be going.

Commencal have made a very good bike at a very good price. Thok have done the same. I have not tested them back to back. I would like to.

Interesting how my body mass and dimensions are being discussed.... ;-) Normally that is the realms of the girl friend.... after I ate too many burgers... Ha Ha

On a serious note on that, I am a robust rider, strong and not over weight, I ride a lot, and am ebike fit. Which i have seen is different to normal bike. I am also strong in the upper body, much stronger than many people I ride with, therefore the way I handle a bike might be different to me.

I would not get too stuck on numbers of my arm lengths etc, I am always discussing the market products with Jens for example, and our general consensus is that bikes are generally too small and too high in the seat tube area. The front centres are getting to where we prefer ratio wise to rear ends. With e-bikes the bike industry is in a strange place regarding sizing. They dont seem to understood completely what ebikes are for yet, there are many wild and strange ideas about size, generally though bikes are too small/short.

When a company like Commencal comes along and says, this is what we can do with our bike, realistically, I think that is the right approach. We never all agree exactly with each other about what we think is the best performance, however in the performance category Enduro style riding I can be pretty clear what I like. However everything is always personal. For example how long a battery lasts is basically down to rider weight as the biggest variation. Jens and Chris rode an ebike recently and Chris was able to go 300 metres higher than Jens, just because he is lighter. I ride in a fairly constant 15-32 degree weather. optimal battery operating temperature always. I will say clearly riding experience is personal with a product sometime to the conditions on that day.

The Shimano system with SRAM for me is the best combination out there regarding gears. Ive tried them all. If you like a mountain bike ride feel.

However i love the speed of Di2 shifting, I find the actual shifts crunchy compared to an EX1 shift pattern and feeling. Others may disagree.

My experience with the Lapierre 29er was also great, I loved that bike. Good idea, execution is top and the trail ride feel was cool. Purpose of bike is slightly different maybe to Commencal.

I dont focus on pure numbers, I look at products with a different eye, I want something that works well for the purpose of intended use, without behaving strangely. Sometimes I have to understand what that intended use is as the bike maker doesn't even know. Sometimes bikes surprise me, sometimes bikes make me want to get off and walk because its more exciting... ha ha, sometimes they just seem way too expensive. I generally think that ebikes that cost over 5000 euros are pushing the limits of diminishing returns currently. Some expensive bikes need to be left in the shop in my opinion, some bikes make sense if you can afford them. For me mass acceptance will come when the bikes of 5000 euros that I like are available at a 3000 price range. Then the market will explode and start taking a lot more share from normal mtb.

Thanks for your comments, if you have any specific requests for knowing how a product is or rides send me a PM and i will try and answer, or get the bike to test it for you against what I know. Brilliant to see all your enthusiasm in the world of ebikes...keeps me riding, testing and loving it!

@Alexkom : Thanks for the long answer. I understand your riding peferences now.
It´s very difficult to choose the ride bike for your personal preferences, if you can´t test it, and that´s unfortunally with most e-bikes, if you want to leave the mainstream brands. I for myself started MTBiking after a long pause last year with an e-fatbike. As I got physically fitter I bought a normal Bike this year too , an Evil the Following and I love it, how it rides. Now I would like to change the e-fatbike for an e-bike that rides similary like the Evil Bike. From your descriptions in the tests I thought the two Bikes Meta Power and Mig-R could do this job.

@Alexkom such wow, this sums up the whole market and could be an article on its own ^^

Just not sure if the too short + too high thing is also true in parts for the Commencal.. the S seems too short for me and I'm afraid the M might be a bit high.. and I might be high a lot, but I'm also quite short with 170cm and 80cm ll.. but I guess I will know better in about 6 weeks

Thanks Alex for sharing your thoughts. Just one specific question on the Commencal and your comment on bikes being to short/small while being to high at the seat tube at the same. This is exactly my concern with the Commencal. I am about your size, but shorter legs (84cm in-seam) longer torso. As with many other bikes I am concerned that I need the Reach of the L frame, but the height of the seat tube will not allow for a low enough seat position for DH. What do you think? Would you - with 4cm shorter legs - still go for the L frame? Thanks. Max

@Maxomoto The Commencal has a fairly low standover, but, honestly its hard to measure up a bik if you want to be really precise on line. For example I use the saddles on all of my bikes tipped very far forward, otherwise it hurts when I sit on them, others use a saddle tipped back. This small setting can change how a bike feels even.

There are many factors affecting setup and overall comfort.

The L frame will have the right top tube length, and if I think about it I remember that the Meta Power felt "flexible" it had some room for error shall we say. Recently when I rode an XL Turbo Levo carbon i found it to be perfect on the toptube length, but seat height was too high, there was little room for error. I asked them if I could use a saw and cut it shorter.... ;-) The designer with me laughed but said that the industry is moving in a direction of lower standover heights for Ebikes, especially with longer dropper posts.

Regarding bikes that are too short and high, many of these come from the Pre-MY-2018 Haibike type geometry bikes and copies of their bikes. These are not really made for performance Enduro style riding in my opinion. If you want to ride Enduro or Trail then geometries that reflect that are the way to go. The commencal is definitely not too short or high. It is a performance machine.

I will let you know more when I have one with me.

Any bikes you guys want me to test ride?

@all: Ich hab Antwort von Commencal zu der Größenfrage erhalten:
"Regarding size, even with short legs compared to total height, I recommend a Large size.
Inseam limit for Medium size is 81,8cms."

Interesting, wusste gar nicht, dass es auch ein Inseam Limit nach oben gibt.. (Begründung?)

Mir haben sie ja auch das M empfohlen, wo ich ähnlich zwischen S und M liege wie du zwischen M und L..

Zurück
Oben